Monday, September 26, 2011

Agricultural and Environmental Scenes of Jefferson County

Over the past 4 weeks, I've had the opportunity to witness the pristine natural environment and productive agricultural lands of Jefferson County.

During the weekend of September 17th, I went to the Jefferson County Farmers Market off of East Washington street. The Market is a stand which sells grocery items (mostly vegetables, fruits and meats) throughout the week. They try to sell local products when they are in season. From my observation, they are the only other fresh producer supplier in the County in addition to Winn Dixie. There are many convenience stores throughout the County but the ones I visited did not sell produce.

Near Ashville, I had a conversation with a friendly dairy farmer. The farmer explained that he was part of a larger dairy cooperative and had been in Jefferson County for the past 7 years. His farm supplies milk to Publix supermarkets throughout the southeast. He also explained his innovative practices of processing water which has been contaminated with manure to fertilize his corn crops. This has helped decrease his fertilizer costs and prevented excess fertilizer runoff.

At the Lake Ella Farmers Market on Wednesday, I had the opportunity to speak with a Jefferson County goat & sheep farmer and an apiarist. Both farmers have been farming in the County for 15 years or less. They are also participating in the New Leaf Farm Tours on October 16th. They told me about a potential new farmers market in Jefferson County.



This past weekend, I went with two of my colleagues to kayak the Wacissa. Since a written narrative has been expressed on the blog, I'll present a visual one.

No comments:

Post a Comment