Throughout this semester, myself and my colleagues have taken every opportunity to visit Jefferson County in an effort to immerse ourselves in the local culture. We have done this with hopes of both pinpointing and better understanding the characteristics that define Jefferson County’s unique sense of place. After participating in the two community visioning sessions held in mid-October, I decided to venture out into Jefferson County again this past weekend. On this visit I was equipped with a new and enlightened perspective.
After individually talking with community members and engaging in discussion with my colleagues about the results of our visioning sessions, I developed a new perspective with which to view Jefferson County. The unique stories and insights detailed to us at the visioning sessions were invaluable and rightly color the lens in which I view Jefferson County. On my visit I decided to re-trace some of my previous travels and partake in new adventures. The most notable aspects of my visit included: kayaking down the Wacissa, driving along Jefferson County’s scenic rural highways, and walking the throughout downtown and southside of Monticello.
My parents, 35 year residents of Tallahassee and avid outdoor recreation enthusiasts, had never been kayaking down the Wacissa River and were excited to join me on my adventure. It was a beautiful day and the three of us could not stop raving about the extremely pristine condition of the County’s natural resources. There were a few other kayakers on the water, but we felt like we had the river all to ourselves. However, I have to admit that we did have a little trouble finding the magnificent Blue Springs, but the journey was nothing but enjoyable.
With each visit to and experience in Jefferson County I find myself better understanding the features, attitudes, and characteristics that define Jefferson County’s unique sense of place. I am looking forward to continuing my learning experience and creating a successful visioning plan for Jefferson County in the weeks ahead!
No comments:
Post a Comment